Dear Berkeley undergraduate student,
We invite you to take the second Student Pulse Survey of the fall term. These confidential, one-minute pulse surveys capture your feedback so we can better support you. As a token of our appreciation, if you complete the survey, you will have a chance to win a $100 gift card of your choice.
Fall 2022 Pulse Survey #2 is now open
This Pulse Survey asks for your thoughts on sense of belonging, experience in courses, housing, and well-being. A link to the Pulse Survey is below and appears as a task in CalCentral. The survey is confidential and results will be displayed only in the aggregate. The survey closes on Thursday, November 17.
Results from Fall 2022 Pulse Survey #1
The report from Fall 2022 Student Pulse Survey #1 is available and below are some findings:
- Housing remains a critical issue for students. While the majority of undergraduates (84%) are satisfied with their housing overall, sizable proportions are dissatisfied with cost (49%), condition of housing (29%), and safety (23%). The campus is committed to building additional student housing and has five housing projects underway:
- Anchor House (772 beds - under construction)
- Albany Village Graduate Student Apartments (761 beds - under construction)
- People's Park Housing (1,113 beds - under construction)
- Upper Hearst (150 apartments - in development)
- 2200 Bancroft (750-800 beds - conceptual planning)
- Student-reported symptoms of depression and anxiety among both undergraduate and graduate students were lower at the beginning of Fall 2022 compared with previous semesters. However, many undergraduate and graduate students are still experiencing symptoms. University Health Services offers a variety of group counseling opportunities including:
- Holistic Sleep Wellness: Behavioral Changes to Reduce Insomnia and Sleep Difficulties (understanding the mechanisms and habits that impact your sleep),
- Black, Indigenous, Men of Color Healing Circle (discussing the complexities of navigating life at UC Berkeley including intersecting identities, microaggressions and “isms”, academics, career, family, relationships, and maintaining holistic well-being),
- Wellness in Action (skill building groups for students experiencing stress, mild to moderate anxiety, panic, and depression).
- While the majority of students continue to be somewhat dissatisfied or very dissatisfied with campus Wi-Fi eduroam performance and stability, the proportion of students satisfied with eduroam (38% in Fall 2022) has more than doubled since Fall 2021 (16%) indicating improvements in this service. The campus Wi-Fi upgrade project has brought more than 6,500 modern WAPs (Wireless Access Points) to campus that supports a better 802.11ac “Dual Band” connection. In order to take full advantage of these upgrades, please ensure that your device supports dual band or newer technology. Contact Student Tech Services for free help with any Wi-Fi or other technical issues you may encounter.
Survey drawing winners
Congratulations to the following recipients of $100 gift cards from Fall 2022 Pulse Survey #1:
- Sophia Meyers (undergraduate, Letters and Science)
- Max Chen (undergraduate, Chemistry)
- Name withheld (undergraduate, Molecular & Cell Biology)
- Name withheld (undergraduate)
- Yuhan Yang (graduate student, Physics)
- Name withheld (graduate student)
If you have any questions or concerns with the Student Pulse Survey, please contact UE_DataTeam@berkeley.edu.
Thanking you in advance for your participation in the survey and wishing you every success this semester.
Oliver M. O’Reilly
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Stephen C. Sutton
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
This message was sent to all UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students.