Dear Berkeley undergraduate student,
We invite you to take the first Pulse Survey of the fall term. These confidential, one-minute pulse surveys capture your valuable feedback so we can better support you. As a token of our appreciation, if you complete Fall 2022 Pulse Survey #1, you will have a chance to win a $100 gift card of your choice.
Fall 2022 Pulse Survey #1 is now open
This Pulse Survey asks for your thoughts on finding housing, campus Wi-Fi, and student services. A link to the Pulse Survey is below and appears as a task in CalCentral. The survey is confidential and results will be displayed only in the aggregate. The survey closes on Wednesday, September 21.
Results from Spring 2022 Pulse Survey #2
The report from Student Pulse Survey #2 is available and below are some findings:
- Self-reported symptoms of depression and anxiety among both undergraduates (30% and 38%, respectively) and graduate students (18% and 26%, respectively) were lower in Spring 2022 compared with the previous academic year. However, they still remain high. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)has recently made critical changes to their services. Students can now get appointments faster, with wait times reduced from an average of 12 days down to an average wait time of just 1.67 days, with many students offered same-day counseling. Students also report receiving care that was more sensitive to their ethnicity, sexual orientation, and cultural identity compared to before the changes.
- While the majority of graduate students (75%) and undergraduates (68%) said worries about housing rarely or never distracted them from academics, 9% of graduate students and 13% of undergraduates said worries about housing frequently or very frequently distracted them from academics. The Basic Needs Center offers a variety of services to help support students struggling with housing insecurity.
- Undergraduate respondents who live further away from campus report that their commutes negatively impact their ability or desire to participate in on-campus activities. Construction has begun on Anchor House, a new 772-bed, apartment-style housing project for transfer students, and additional efforts to expand student housing close to campus are underway.
Survey drawing winners
Congratulations to the following recipients of $100 gift cards from Spring 2022 Pulse Survey #2:
- Albert Giang, Computer Science and Cognitive Science (Undergraduate Student)
- Jiyoon Chung, Letters & Science (Undergraduate Student)
- Pericles Bien III, Architecture (Undergraduate Student)
- Undergraduate student who declined to be named
- Niti Prasad, Information and Cybersecurity (Graduate Student)
- Sean Clair, Chemistry (Graduate Student)
If you have any questions or concerns with the Pulse Survey, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanking you in advance for your participation in the survey and wishing you every success this semester.
Oliver M. O’Reilly
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Stephen C. Sutton
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
This message was sent to all UC Berkeley undergraduate and graduate students.