Dear campus community,
The nomination cycle for the 2022 Awards for Excellence in Advising and Student Services is now open. Our advising and student services staff continue to provide outstanding support of our students and each other during very challenging and uncertain times. These awards acknowledge student-centered approaches, innovation, and commitment to student success in a wide variety of categories outlined below.
We encourage nominations of student services staff throughout our Berkeley community, including Student Affairs, Equity & Inclusion, Graduate Division, Undergraduate Education, Schools & Colleges, University Extension, Berkeley International Office, and beyond. Note that eligible nominees need not have the term “advisor” in their title—all staff who support, advise, or counsel graduate or undergraduate students at UC Berkeley may be nominated.
Nominations can be made by anyone in the campus community, including students, and are due by the end of day, Monday, October 31. This deadline is firm, as there is a short window of time for the volunteer readers to review nominations. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if there are accommodations we can provide that would make this nomination process more accessible for you. Please submit nominations via the Advising Strategy + Training website. This year’s categories include:
- Equity Champion (Staff)
- Individual Advising Innovation (Staff)
- Team Advising Innovation (Staff)
- Excellence in Data and/or Research-Driven Student Services (Staff)
- Service to the Advising and Student Services Community (Staff)
- Outstanding New Advisor or Student Services Staff (Staff)
- Outstanding Advisor or Student Services Staff (Staff)
- Outstanding Peer Advisor, Mentor, Counselor, or Ambassador (Student)
- Outstanding Advising or Student Services Administrator, Director, or Manager (Staff/Supervisor)
- Advising Champion (Faculty/Administrator)
Award for Special Performance and Contribution (Staff)
- The Mary Slakey Howell Excellence in Advising and Student Services Award—Our Highest Honor—for Exceptional Contributions to Students and to the Advising Community
More information on selection criteria and submission guidelines can be found on the Excellence in Advising & Student Services award program webpage. Award recipients will be recognized at an in-person ceremony on Monday, December 12, and there will be a broader advising and student services community celebration online Thursday, December 15.
We encourage you to attend an online information session about the nomination process if you have questions. Please RSVP to one of the following sessions to receive a bCal invitation with a Zoom link:
- Friday, October 14, 10-11 a.m.
- Thursday, October 20, 3-4 p.m.
If you are unable to attend one of the information sessions, please direct questions to email@example.com.
Thank you to the entire advising and student services community for the important work you do every day to improve the lives and educational experiences of our many talented students.
Oliver M. O'Reilly
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Vice Chancellor for Equity & Inclusion
Stephen C. Sutton
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
This message was sent to all instructors, staff, and students.