Dear campus community,
The nomination cycle for the 2021 Awards for Excellence in Advising and Student Services is now open. Our advising and student services staff are doing outstanding work supporting our students and each other during very challenging and uncertain times. These awards acknowledge student-centered approaches, innovation, and commitment to student success in a wide variety of categories outlined below. Please note that all nominations submitted last year for the 2020 cycle have been rolled into the current 2021 cycle (duplicate nominations will not be considered).
We encourage nominations of student services staff from throughout our Berkeley community including Student Affairs, Equity & Inclusion, Graduate Division, Undergraduate Education, Schools & Colleges, University Extension, Berkeley International Office, and beyond. Note that eligible nominees need not have the term “advisor” in their title—all staff who support, advise, or counsel graduate or undergraduate students at UC Berkeley may be nominated.
Nominations can be made by anyone in the campus community, including students, and are due by the end of the day, Sunday, October 31. Send an email to email@example.com if there are accommodations we can provide that would make this nomination process more accessible for you. Please submit nominations via the Advising Matters website. This year’s categories include:
- Equity Champion (Staff)
- Virtual Advising Innovation (Staff)
- Success with Less (Staff)
- Excellence in Data and/or Research-Driven Student Services (Staff)
- Service to the Advising and Student Services Community (Staff)
- Outstanding New Advisor or Student Services Staff (Staff)
- Outstanding Advisor or Student Services Staff (Staff)
- Outstanding Advising or Student Services Team (Staff)
- Outstanding Peer Advisor, Mentor, Counselor, or Ambassador (Student)
- Outstanding Advising or Student Services Administrator, Director, or Manager (Staff/Supervisor)
- Advising Champion (Faculty/Administrator)
- Award for Special Performance and Contribution (Staff)
- The Mary Slakey Howell Excellence in Advising and Student Services Award - Our Highest Honor - For Exceptional Contributions to Students and to the Advising Community
More information on selection criteria and submission guidelines can be found on the Excellence in Advising & Student Services award program webpage. Award recipients will be recognized at a virtual celebration for all student services and advising colleagues on Wednesday, December 15, from 1:30-3 p.m.
Questions regarding our awards program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to the entire advising and student services community for the important work you do every day to improve the lives and educational experiences of our many talented students.
Oliver M. O'Reilly
Interim Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Lisa García Bedolla
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division
Vice Chancellor for Equity & Inclusion
Stephen C. Sutton
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
This message was sent to all instructors, staff, and students.